Video by Michela Lupattelli
Facial aging refers to the process of how our face changes with age. There are several factors that play a role in this process, including natural aging, genetics, facial movements, sun exposure, and lifestyle. While a gracefully aging face is a beautiful thing, there are some changes we would like to slow down or artfully tweak.
As we age, skeletal changes occur along with loss of skin elasticity and tone. The tip of the nose may droop due to weakening of the connective tissue that supports nasal cartilage. Fat is evenly distributed in the face when we are young and provides a plump, youthful look in our cheeks, temples, lower face, and around the eyes and mouth. As we age, the fat loses volume and shifts downward causing skin that was smooth and tight to sag and develop moderate to severe folds.
Then there are the wrinkles. Lines and wrinkles on the forehead, between the brows, and around the eyes (crow’s feet) are caused by expression or animation as we use the muscles in our face. The wrinkles that we see during movement are dynamic wrinkles. Those that are visible even at rest are static lines or wrinkles. These static lines are the result of facial muscles continually moving and being tugged and, eventually, creasing the skin. Folds of the face may get deeper as a result of skeletal changes and volume loss, but finer wrinkles can be a result of sun damage, smoking, and constant use.
How can we slow this aging process? Ironically, many of the things that accelerate the aging process are easy to avoid. Sun exposure, smoking, excessive drinking, and frequent weight gain and loss all play a role in speeding up collagen loss and aging. How do we slow or even replace collagen loss and minimize those wrinkles without surgery?
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. It can’t be said enough, wearing – and reapplying – SPF is one of the best ways to slow the aging process and protect your skin.
- Avoid smoking and limit alcohol consumption. Both of these habits cause premature aging of the skin.
- Neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin, Jeauveau). Wrinkle-relaxing injections of neurotoxin have been used safely for decades to help minimize muscle movement on the forehead, between the brows, and around the eyes resulting in smoother skin in those areas. The injected muscles cannot contract and wrinkles relax and soften.
- Dermal Fillers and Collagen Stimulators. Volumizers (Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, Belotero, Versa and Sculptra) correct wrinkles and facial folds and lines by bolstering and adding volume to the tissue. These volumizers are typically hyaluronic acid, calcium-based, or Poly-L-Lactic acid. Injected under the skin into the tissue, they can replace lost volume and promote new collagen growth.
- Lasers & other devices (CO2, BBL, Q-switch, Radiofrequency, Microneedling). There are dozens of types of lasers and, in fact, some are not really lasers at all. But the term has been used so colloquially, we overlook the meaning in the letters, which actually stand for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. Regardless, there are many devices that are available to resurface the skin, remove pigmentation or vascular lesions, reduce pigmentation, and stimulate collagen. Radiofrequency, especially RF microneedling devices, are also used to help tighten the skin and stimulate collagen.
- Skincare and exfoliation. Retin A is the only FDA approved anti-aging product, but there are many exceptional products available to help improve or maintain a healthy skin barrier. Retin A (tretinoin) works by speeding up the rate at which your body replaces skin cells, giving your skin a fresher, more youthful appearance. Exfoliants clear away the dead skin cells that cause dullness and allow your other anti-aging products to penetrate the skin more effectively. Antioxidants protect the skin from free radicals and help reduce pigmentation and fine lines and wrinkles. And, of course, SPF! We recommend an SPF of 45 or higher and reapplication every 80-90 minutes when outdoors. At Medical Day Spa, we believe ZO Skin Health provides the best selection of products for a customized anti-aging approach.
Regardless of great genes, age-related changes in the face are unavoidable. The best approach to real skin health and anti-aging is a combination of effective treatments, medical-grade products, and a healthy lifestyle.
If you are wondering, “where is the best place to help my facial aging near me”? Well, Medical Day Spa of Chapel Hill is the best place to help you turn back time and reverse some of unwanted skin efffects that come with aging and time.
If you live in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Hillsborough or anywhere in the Triangle area of North Carolina come on in and experience our skin care treatments today!
Enjoy The Experience. Delight In The Results!